On food, style, home and travel, a blog by a hedonist, for hedonists.
When I come across a thing that makes me smile, brings beauty or gives comfort - c'est ça!

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Packing for Summer Essentials

Last summer, we did a driving tour of France for two weeks, driving down from Paris, to Dijon, the Grande Route des Alpes, on to the French Riviera and Provence. It was a trip of a lifetime, and I have never seen such diverse natural beauty - from snow-capped mountains to crystalline ocean shores - in one country.

Part of enjoying that trip was the relaxed easy from which we moved from stop to stop.  That could not have been achieved without packing light.
Because of my frequent travel for work, I learned to be a rather ruthless packer for more formal wear, but it was a little bit of a challenge for this kind of  casual trip, especially when dealing with so many climates.  I've done my best to recreate my suitcase for you below, and as you can see, with a little handwashing here and there, 9 pieces of clothing can make for a fabulous, stylish and worry-free summer travel wardrobe.  This continues to be my summer formula this year as well with small variations here and there.

View of boats from Cannes, France
Packing for Summer Essentials

Packing for Summer Essentials by c'estca featuring rubber shoes






































Tops:
1. Fun top in your accent color - I always like a peasant-inspired style for summer
2. Breezy white blouse which can be punched up with accessories or a cover-up on the beach
3. Striped Breton top - Saint James' shirts are indestructable and worth every penny
4. Soft white t-shirt - I actually prefer longer length sleeves even in summer, for sun protection, and the thin cotton ensures I won't get too hot
5. Light cardigan in a neutral - for chilly evenings, air conditioning, or mountain tops

Dress:
1. Black dress in cotton or linen - can be a comfortable touring outfit or jazzed up for evening

Bottoms:
1.  A white skirt - much preferred over shorts, and just as cool and comfortable
2.  Black linen trousers - comfy, cool, and surprisingly easy to refresh with a bit of ironing
3.  Black knit skirt - day or evening, comfortable and chic

Accessories:
1.  Statement necklace - I actually take two and alternate, but this horn one works well with almost anything
2.  Sparkly earrings - dresses up practically anything to take you to dinner and so small to pack
3.  Floppy hat - again, sun protection is very important!
4.  Sunglasses - I prefer tortoiseshell for my complexion, make sure the style and color suits you before jumping on a particular trend though
5. 2 scarves - yes, even in summer these are great treats.  Tie loosely around your neck or even around the band of your hat for a pop of color.
6.  A bangle or bracelet in your accent color

Shoes:
1.  An interesting sandal or flip flop - but make it special!  I love these heart detailed rubber sandals from YSL.  They are a few seasons old, but they go with me everywhere in the summer.
2.  A great walking shoe* in a ballerina style - for me, nothing beats the comfort of Chanel flats for my wide feet, but there are plenty of other designers doing this style.
3.  A comfy sandal which can be dressed up or down - for me, it's the Oran sandal from Hermes, but the key here is they should fit like a glove, wear well, and look nice enough to go anywhere.

Bags:
1. Tote or shoulder bag in neutral color: the essentials for me are clean lines, go anywhere style, and quality.  It's okay to take your good bags on holiday, I swear. **
2.  Clutch in a neutral color - casual enough for days when you don't need to lug a heavy bag, and nice enough for night.

Polish:
A neutral shimmer on the toes wears well and won't show chips.  I go clear or totally bare on my fingers, so as not to worry about manicures while traveling!


Alight, now for a side-rant on traveling shoes and bags:

* I am not a fan of sports-styled walking shoes and sneakers, esp. in the summer.  I feel they look too clunky and out of place in a chic wardrobe.  I choose shoes that can go with slacks as well as skirts, and if it doesn't pass the skirt test then perhaps it's a bit too sporty for my needs.  I am a firm believer that you can find a comfortable but elegant shoe for most city-touring kind of trips.  I never understand people who look like they are about to climb a mountain when they arrive ready to tour Paris or New York.  What kind of rough terrain or survival challenge do they expect to meet in the pastry shop or museum?  If you wouldn't wear hiking boots to your home town to stroll around, why would you do it somewhere else (especially where you plan to be memorialized by photo)?  My one exception to sporty sandals are Birkenstocks.  Especially if you have foot troubles, these can be a lifesaver.  I think they are an excellent alternative to less-supportive shoes but still look very presentable with their variety of colors and styles.

** Many people let their good bags linger in their closets while they travel.  Your things are meant to be used, so use them!  Of course I am still talking of the city trip here, and not safari, but if you love your Birkin every day of the week at home, why wouldn't you take it with you on holiday?  My nice bags go with me everywhere (in carry-on, never check).  Yes, they have to be looked after, but it's no different than when I am  using them in my own neck of the woods.  Don't leave your bag open or unattended, don't put loosely capped bottles of liquid inside, and don't walk down dark alleys at night.  Really, that should apply whether you are wearing a Chanel or no-name canvas tote.  Take care of your things and they'll last forever, don't use your things and they'll end up fetching a ton in your estate sale - which would you choose?  

<end ranting> ;)



Traveling is about being in the moment, taking in all the new experiences, and being ready for any adventure that may call.  To me, that also means being comfortable and confident in your wardrobe, feeling like you can go anywhere dressed just as you are, stylishly and lightly.  Worry about your clothes before you leave, so you won't have to when you arrive.  With some carefully edited packing, you can enjoy your summer plans without all that baggage!




 





2 comments:

  1. Yes, it's so funny how much stuff people sometimes take. We're heading off for a little road trip next week, and it's always fun to select carefully the things to mix-and-match. And as far as accessories go, *nothing* beats an Hermès horn pendant and silver necklace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is so much fund to plan mix-and-match ensembles for lightweight traveling. I LOVE the way you style your Hermes horn and silver necklaces on your blog, by the way, they are the perfect final touch!!

    ReplyDelete