On food, style, home and travel, a blog by a hedonist, for hedonists.
When I come across a thing that makes me smile, brings beauty or gives comfort - c'est ça!

Monday, July 4, 2011

Fantasy Fourth of July Shopping

This 4th of July, I deliberately chose to stay away from the mall.  As part of my evolving philosophy on style and shopping (look out for a separate post explaining that whole affair), and I'm sticking with my resolution to buy only classic, quality pieces that fit gaps in my current wardrobe.  That means having a deliberate shopping plan of things I need (versus things I saw on sale and impulse-bought), so mall sales are no longer that appealing.

However, I could not ignore the piles of emails in my inbox alerting me to the fact that there would be some serious bargains to be had this weekend, so I decided to get my shopping fix by hitting the internet instead.  It's no secret that one of the delights of internet shopping is you can put as many things in your cart as you like, mull them over for days at a time, and then pull the trigger (or not) after you've had a good think.  It's hassle free, I never feel pressured by a sales person and don't have to get out of my pajamas, so what's not to like?  It's like fantasy football but with shopping.  Awesome.

Some of the ladies on PurseForum were in a tizzy about the Saks sale today, but I didn't find much, at least online.  But Net-a-Porter, on the other hand, did have quite a selection for me, and I ended up filling up my virtual cart with a number of interesting ponderables which I have been letting simmer for a couple days.  On my shopping list: a simple black cardigan, a white blouse, and a white casual t-shirt.  I am also pre-planning for winter, so I don't pass up good deals on tights.  I am also in the market for winter brogues, preferable Church's.  In my cart: a black cotton cardigan from McQ, a Ralph Lauren Black Label white shirt, an Stella Mccartney ivory t-shirt, grey Falke tights, and tan brogues - by Church's no less!  It was practically kismet, no?

Rather than pull the trigger right away, I let everything percolate a few days while running the danger that things might get sold out in my size.  I like to live life on the edge, huh?  Anyway, I've gotten to the point where everything that comes into the house has to be a "forever" kind of match, not a "just for now, until I find the real one" kind of stop-gap.  It was fun having all those things in my virtual cart, but how fun would they be hanging in my closet?

After a good deal of consideration, here is what I decided.  I passed on the cardigan as it was cotton and I am hoping for a wool or wool/cashmere blend.  Actually, I know my "forever" cardigan - it's a Chanel boyfriend style with discreet buttons.  Why buy a placeholder when the exact one I want is out there?  (Albeit currently out of my price range.)   The ivory t-shirt was dumped because it was not the white I really wanted, and the grey tights too because they reminded me of sweatshirt grey sportiness which is just not me.  Bye to the brogues because they were a summery tan whereas I really want a darker rain resistant color like black or dark brown.  Whew, it was like cleaning out my closet without any of the guilt!

So what did I end up with?  Your deductive powers serve you right, my dear Watson: the Ralph Lauren Black Label Delaney white shirt.  I am in love with this shirt.  From the pintuck detailing on the front to the sheerness of the fabric to the french cuffs, this shirt combines everything I ever loved about the previous white shirts I have owned.  This is the "forever" shirt I have been looking for.  I imagine this under a crisp blazer with an Hermes scarf at the throat.  Or more casual chic, over a pair of jeans and a simple camisole, maybe a gauzy linen stole thrown around the shoulders... ah, the pleasures of a classic white shirt!  Now I can't wait for the mail to arrive...
Ralph Lauren Black Label Delaney Smocked Cotton Shirt, was $555, now $222 from Net-A-Porter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment