On food, style, home and travel, a blog by a hedonist, for hedonists.
When I come across a thing that makes me smile, brings beauty or gives comfort - c'est ça!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Make-up Redux


A couple posts back, I shared with you a few of the decluttering projects which have overcome me as of late.  Today I thought I would take a moment to show you in more detail the outcome of my rather ruthless (well, at least I think so) purging of my cosmetics drawer.

So, I should begin by admitting I adore makeup.  I like buying it, putting it on, re-applying throughout the day... the whole nine yards.  I keep to a pretty light/neutral set of colors, however, and have learned from my mistakes over the years.  My "smokey eye" looks like I've gotten into a bar fight.  Bronzer makes me look like an Oompa Loompa (unfortunately immortalized in my sister-in-law's wedding photos forever).  And that chic slick of red lipstick?  Always on my teeth.  And sometimes my chin.

Anyway, knowing what works for me has helped me keep my collection in check.  I am sure if I was a bit more suited for the experimental or trendy colors, my makeup drawer would be a bureau.  But I digress.

BEFORE the PURGE


 The "before" shot - nothing too horrific I hope, but still, filled with a lot of "almost empties", "somedays" and "mehs."  


The Casualties 


Starting at the back and working clockwise: 
Back row: Caron perfume samples that give me a headache but came in a pretty purple fan shape, almost empty bottle of Revlon Colorstay Foundation, sample packets of Chanel lipsticks in colors I would never wear, Guerlain eyeshadow/liner palette where the liner hardened and I used up my favorite color, Laura Mercier palette that I used on business trips and yet always made me feel less-than-pleased with the results, Chanel almost empty eye shadow palette.  
Third row: Bourjois powder in a shade too pink, Bourjois blush and eyeshadow that were just too hard to take the product up on brushes, Chanel blushes I haven't used in 3-5 years each, almost empty Guerlain Rouge G, dry Laura Mercier liquid eyeliner and almost empty eye shadown.
Second row: Bare Minerals pinkish powder I could never learn to wear without looking like a sparkly fairy, Dior lipstick almost empty, YSL lipstick almost empty and I hated the color, YSL lipstick really empty and I loved the color, Chanel Rouge Coco empty, Dior mini eyeshadow palette.
First row: Old YSL lipgloss, assorted samples of things I have never been inspired to use.

It turns out, the things I decided to toss fell into a handful of categories:

Samples I simply am not using.  
It's either not my color, or my type product, but I was holding onto them anyway "just in case." If unused and recent I will share with a friend, otherwise it was tossed.

Things I love.
Well, that should probably be obvious, but I had a bunch of things I was holding onto to remember the color for repurchase, or kidding myself that I could squeeze a couple more uses out it if.  Case in point, my favorite lipstick:

Yes, I think it's dead now.  (Chanel Rouge Coco 02 Perle.)
Now I have a list of things I would buy again in a heartbeat - typed into my phone so it can come with me to the makeup counter.

Things I wanted to love, but couldn't.
For example, Bourjois blush and eye shadow.  I remember reading that they were made in the same factory as Chanel, and so should have similar quality.  But for some reason, the ones I purchased were like hard little rocks in their pans.  So hard I had to scrape some product off to get it on to a brush.  Not worth it, so in the trash they went.  (I do like their mineral face powder though!)

Sentimental or pretty things.
A bunch of Caron perfume samples in pretty purple fan shapes, whose smell gives me a headache.  An empty tube of a Rouge G lipstick because it has a mirror.  The first nice lipstick I bought in Paris (Galeries Lafayette YSL horrid metallic bronze lipstick I hated to wear but loved to look at).  Gone!


The WINNERS 

 A small but trusty arsenal remains, more than enough for my daily makeup routine as well as special occasions and seasonal makeup needs.


Top Row: Bourjois mineral powder (a bit of extra coverage over foundation when needed), Chanel blush brush, Guerlain powder brush, Revlon Colorstay foundation, Chanel Levres Scintillanes Glossimer 129, Diorshow mascara, Chanel brown liquid eyeliner, Chanel Rouge Coco 02 Perle, Chanel Rouge Coco 33 Boise des Iles.
Center row: Guerlain ecrin 6 color eyeshadow palette Rue des Francs-Bourgeois, YSL eyeshadow palette Sahara, Chanel eyeshadow single in Lotus.
Bottom row: Guerlain Terracotta blush in Blonde, Guerlain Rouge G lipsticks in Gisele 08 and Gaby 07, assorted brushes from Chanel, Laura Mercier and Bare Minerals.*
* I confess, I have no idea what to do with the fan-shaped Bare Minerals brush, I just kept it because it was pretty!  Oops, forgive my weakness...

A close-up of some of the colors...





The AFTER Shot

Now when I open my makeup drawer, I am confronted only with my favorites - how simple!



Yes, it's looking a little sparse, but I am now in the market for a new nude lipgloss, a replacement tube of the Coco 33 Bois de Iles, and perhaps a second fun eyeliner.  Also I am looking to replace my lip and eyeliner brushes, which have seen better days.  Now the fun part really begins-- going shopping!  Any recommendations???








4 comments:

  1. IMPRESSIVE!! Your after picture looks so nice and neat and perfectly pared down. I thought I pared my collection down until looking at this. I know I have more work to do.

    I just rediscovered a lipgloss that I was ignoring, Chanel Giggle that is a nice "my lips but better" color. It's not nude, but really nude colors wash me out. I also use Nars Chiuaua which is lighter and looks nice over softer pink lipsticks. I think lipgloss containers are deceiving and they must be swiped on the hand to see what color they actually are. Lots are more sheer than they look. I keep going back to Chanel's basic pencil eyeliner. It's easy to apply and I can get a really fine line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, REALLY need to do this! Your pictures are inspiring.

    After a few years of experimentation (to get myself out of a makeup rut), I've accumulated plenty of products and colors that are really not suited for me.

    Now I'm easing back into a more neutral look, so it's time to clear out all the "extra" stuff that I no longer use. And to resist buying a lot of new products! (It's so easy to over-buy makeup!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Stephanie - Thanks for the recommendations! I am planning a shopping expedition next week and I will check out Giggle and your other tips for sure. My liquid eyeliner (also a Chanel) goes on kind of thick sometimes, but I never tried their pencil style - sounds like what I'm looking for.

    @ Ms. M - Good luck with your paring down, it's definitely a process. I agree, it's tough to resist makeup temptation, I feel like they are making new fun things all the time. Here's hoping my next shopping trip doesn't turn into a spree or I will be back to square one... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! It takes a lot of discipline to not open up the next package before the old one is done. I need to be better about that with my haircare products especially... :)

    ReplyDelete