On food, style, home and travel, a blog by a hedonist, for hedonists.
When I come across a thing that makes me smile, brings beauty or gives comfort - c'est ça!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Hiatus, Interrupted

Ok, after a series of family visits followed by sickness (unrelated) which have kept me focused on other things, I am back today to hopefully what is considered regularly posting.  Sincere apologies for the long and unplanned hiatus!

A Fall chill has descended upon this little corner of the world, and I couldn't be more thrilled as this is really my favorite time of year.  I am definitely a cold-weather dresser, and gladly welcome fall so I can get back into my boots and tights and scarves again.  

When it comes to Fall/Winter wardrobe planning, I am in a little bit of a muddle this year though.

First off, I have all the clothes I need.  

Huh?

Say, what?  

If my mother were reading this, first she'd wonder if I'd been snatched by an alien.  And second, she'd drop dead.  Really, I mean it.  We are born shoppers, it's like denying the family legacy.

Truth is, I never really thought I would get to a place where I could admit such heresy, but here we are.  I have more than enough clothes, good quality things that I love and feel happy to wear, for all sorts of occasions.  

In fact, I don't even get a chance to wear all the clothes I love enough -- all my pretty little jackets and knit skirts which are my cold weather staples see a lot less action now that I am not a corporate drudge.  (Little known secret: one of the few things I loved about my work was the chance to dress up.)  Now I am in jeans and sweaters most of the time, because it would be weird to putter around the kitchen in blazers.  And I have plenty of jeans and sweaters too, so that's out.  Shoot.  

Okay, reason two I am in a fall shopping doldrums: I used to be motivated by making sure I got in on whatever the hot new color or style was.  Now, not so much.  I am hep to their marketing schemes.  I mean, doesn't it seem like we keep hearing the same Fall color story, year after year?  This year's color: berry.  Wait, two seasons ago, wasn't it plum?  Every Fall, we get some variation on this theme: aubergine! khaki! charcoal! and the proverbial animal print!  Recently I even heard black was back.  Sheesh.  I have my wardrobe colors, and I'm sticking to them - they're neutrals, classics, and suit my coloring and the accessories I've built up around them.  So I am no longer tempted by just that particular shade of this season's burgundy.  

Which is a bummer actually, because I still love clothes and I do appreciate the thrill of shopping.  I was explaining all of this to my spouse, who said it sounded all very anti-consumerist, but it's not.  Just because I don't NEED anything doesn't mean I don't WANT anything... there's the rub. 

I have two things on my WANT list this year, and they are both unfortunately so splurge-y that they are mutually exclusive.  

The first is an olive green 30cm Birkin from Hermes in the Ghillie design.  It's supposed to be new for A/W 2011, and it's like a Birkin married a pair of Church's shoes and had a darling baby.  My name is first on the list for one at my local store, but that doesn't actually mean much as I haven't even seen a photo of it and have no assurance of when it will come in.  I've basically put it out of my mind and will be terribly surprised if I manage to hold it in my hot little hands before the new year.  

So the other WANT is this Alexander McQueen sweater coat:  

Buy at Alexander McQueen


It goes without saying that the other implied WANT here is an additional 6 inches in height and less 6 inches in girth to rock this jacket as it should be rocked.  Some things are probably best admired from afar.



So that's what's has been putting a crimp in my Fall shopping habit.  In the spirit of total confession though, I am not a shopping saint.  I have bought one small thing this Fall - didn't need it but I couldn't resist - and I'll debut it and tell you all about it tomorrow!    

No comments:

Post a Comment