On food, style, home and travel, a blog by a hedonist, for hedonists.
When I come across a thing that makes me smile, brings beauty or gives comfort - c'est ça!

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Fall is in the Air! (and around my neck)

My only Fall indulgence so far... a new scarf.

See, I went to the Hermes Sample Sale in NYC a couple weeks ago, and I told myself the ONLY think I really could justify was if I found some of their "older" cashmere.  It seems to me that the older stuff was thicker somehow than some of the newer designs, and anyway, it was worth having a look-see.

I arrived a couple days into the sale, so to my surprise, there were actually no scarves left really except a couple tassled fringey poncho numbers and some bedraggled looking items I'd seen at the last sale.  Oh, well, it was a long shot.

I was rifling through their shoe section when I saw this lady with a beautiful paisley stole.  I thought to myself, "I really love paisley and that is such a beautiful one, I wonder where she got it?  I am surprised they let her in with a scarf anyway, aren't you supposed to take them off?? I wish Hermes made paisley prints more... perhaps I'll check out Etro."  (Yes, I really do have such long conversations in my head, I was an only child...)

I am lost in a paisley reverie when lo and behold, I stumble across a scarf just like hers!  The scarf she was holding was indeed an Hermes one, one at that very sale, lurking about in a pile I'd missed by the ties.  I wish I could say it was the universe reading my mind, but it's only a scarf after all, so let's not be that serious.

Of course I bought the scarf, and I am extra pleased because it was part of my original plan, and something I loved even before I thought it was for sale.  There is nothing worse than feeling like maybe you bought something in part because you trekked all the way to the store, or it was on sale, or it seemed "good enough."  I have fallen prey to all those traps before, but not this time.  I even walked away from a few very good pairs of shoes for the same reason.  *sniff* Sometimes doing the right thing is hard, but the scarf is a good reward...


And here she is!
The colors are Autumn itself!

I love the rosettes in mustard yellow, maroon and brown...

4 comments:

  1. Thank you! And very well said! Must have been kismet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, that is BEAUTIFUL! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!! Too bad it was too warm to wear in New York, at least I have all winter to look forward to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This scarf is truly beautiful. I seriously had no idea Hermès made a paisley scarf like that. Fabulous find!

    ReplyDelete