On food, style, home and travel, a blog by a hedonist, for hedonists.
When I come across a thing that makes me smile, brings beauty or gives comfort - c'est ça!

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Less = More

Yesterday, I watched this short TED Talk by Graham Hill entitled "Less Stuff, More Happiness."  You might want to check it out.




It inspired me to go through the house one more time for one final purge.  (This is after about 5 or 6 major purges this year, and me thinking I was all 'purged out.')

The result?

Gone are two coats I know deep down I will never wear, a set of perfectly good wine glasses I never use, and these cute lunchbox bento sets I bought on my last trip to Japan, which went into the bin kicking and screaming for their sentimental value alone.  I wanted to love them, I really did, but my lunches are never complicated enough to fill all those little boxes.

Also gone is our DVD collection (all whopping dozen of them, three which were replaced in their digital version)-- this makes more sense if you know that in one of the earliest purges this year included our television set.

Also, I bid fond adieu to a 12 loaf mini-bundt pan - this one I'll miss, but only used once every 5 years, I decided it wasn't really earning its keep or transform itself into a multi-tasker.  And more books and clothes - where did they come from? - even though I'd just gone through less than a month ago and thought I was down to bare essentials.

Clearly, I've got more work to do as I come to grips with what "the essentials" really means... but for the moment I feel a little lighter and that's good enough for me!

2 comments:

  1. This post fits well with my week! Almost secretively I've been pulling things out of my wardrobe and hiding them in my other closet--a few tops, a few skirts, etc., etc. And I've been identifying things to sell, from scarves to shoes. It's hard to pull things out, but once they're out of sight, it usually feels right. Now, to find a Goodwill . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Best to make room for the treasures you'll be bringing back from your trip. Putting things away from a little while is a great strategy, it usually lessens the pang of separation or regret for me too... :)

    ReplyDelete