On food, style, home and travel, a blog by a hedonist, for hedonists.
When I come across a thing that makes me smile, brings beauty or gives comfort - c'est ça!

Monday, August 15, 2011

A Spot of Shopping - Chanel Obsessed?

A few posts back, you may remember that I did a big clean out of my makeup drawer.  This of course resulted in a handful of items I added to my shopping list.  Last week, I finally got around to driving down to the nearest large mall (it's a good thing it's over an hour away, there is definitely not a lot of impulse buying to be done) to check out the makeup counter.

I timed the visit with an invitation I'd received to the Chanel Trunk Show, so I hit two birds with one stone.   I'm am not a big Chanel bag collector, but I decided to drop by because I am on the hunt for a rather specific clutch or small bag which they just might be able to fill.  You see, I have a small gap in my purse wardrobe when it comes to clutches --  I've decided I need a small bag in a black or nudish neutral that can work for day-to-evening.  Nothing sparkly, and nothing to rough and tumble, just classic go with everything.  Kind of like my nude shoe hunt, I have been looking for a long time and have something specific and apparently difficult to find in mind.

Anyway, I had a look at their new fall merchandise and not much caught my eye.  I saw a number of loose strings and sloppy stitching-- they may have been samples, but you'd think for the money they'd do a better job.  And didn't they just have yet another price increase?  Oh, well.  They had some brightly colored patents, and things in tweedy or sparkly finishes but nothing just so.  I explained to the sales girl what I was looking for, and she showed me two options which I thought were so-so, but she could get me in other colors or permutations which could be just right.  So she ordered them.  Let the waiting begin!

The top item is actually a large zip around wallet, which I liked in concept because it has room for a car key and a lipgloss and could be multi-function.  However I didn't care for the gold color or the non-matching lining (you can't see it in the pick, but the zipper and interior are greyish, which to me does not work with the gold, it only makes it look cheap).  The sales assistant said it's because it's a sample, and the actually wallet comes in the taupe color of the second wallet below.  So that's what I'm waiting for to arrive, the large wallet/clutch in the taupe color.

The second thing I ordered was the wallet-on-a-chain, like the red purse on the bottom, but in red.  Maybe I will love it more in black, I am still on the fence about it.  I post photos when they both come in!



  
After that, I headed to the makeup counters and had a look around.  After much perusal and debate (thank you for recommendations!), here's what I came home with:

Eyeliner brush (out goes the old brush I had) and nude lipsticky gloss thing.



I had on my list a nude lipgloss but I got sucked in my this hybrid I'd never seen before.  It's called Chanel Rouge Allure Extrait de Gloss in 51 Insouciance.  A mouthful indeed.  It's between a lipgloss and a lipstick.  I liked it because it seemed to have some lasting power, was moist but not too sticky, and yet sheer enough to go over a more pigmented lipstick shade should I be so inclined.  Darn the iPhone and my lack of photography skills, this is the best I could do to highlight the actual color on the wand:

Chanel Rouge Allure Laque in Shade 51

And now my other lipgloss won't be so lonely in the drawer!

PS I do buy things that are NOT made by Chanel, I swear.  Next shopping trip, I'll have to prove it to you...


2 comments:

  1. The Insouciance gloss is currently on my wish list for my next Chanel order. I haven't seen it in person; but every time I see someone wearing it in a picture or video online, I think it looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have already gotten compliments on it, and it feels great on. Hope you enjoy it also!

    ReplyDelete