On food, style, home and travel, a blog by a hedonist, for hedonists.
When I come across a thing that makes me smile, brings beauty or gives comfort - c'est ça!

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Quick Trip to Baltimore

I had the opportunity recently to take a short overnight trip to Baltimore, which I'd previously visited on business trips several times but never had the chance to play tourist.  This time, I made sure to see a handful of the local sights during my less than 24 hour stay.

Because I only had the afternoon/evening and a bit of the following morning, I focused my efforts on the pretty Inner Harbor area which hosts many of the city's tourist attractions.

Nope, there is nothing wrong with my camera - the city was cloaked in a humid haze most of the afternoon.  

There are plenty of little shops and places to poke around along the Harbor.  Due to the humidity, I decided to stop in for a cold drink and people watch at one of the many terrace restaurants overlooking the view.

From there, I stopped by to learn more about the USS Constellation, which is the last Civil War-era US Navy boat that still exists.  The ship was used to disrupt slave trade during the Civil War, but was later used as a training vessel during WW1 also.  


USS Constellation

You can rent a boat of your own nearly from the same location, though they are much smaller (Dragon-shaped paddle boats below).  I decided to skip the paddle boats (terrible swimmer) and head straight to the Baltimore National Aquarium.  The Aquarium lives up to its reputation as one of the country's largest.  Check it out for your typical shark and octopus display but be sure to see the re-created Tropical Rainforest Exhibit too.  Highly recommended!

Foreground: Rentable paddle boats.  Background: Baltimore Aquarium (triangular roof).
 
By now, it was threatening to actually rain and my stomach was threatening to overtake sensible thought unless fed soon, so it was time to look for a dinner place.  Normally I do extensive research about places to eat great local cuisine before traveling, but as this was an impromptu trip, I didn't get a chance.  So, my dinner research involved squinting around the harbor, looking for something remotely seafoody as tribute to the local specialities.  Yonder in the distance, a sign: The Rusty Scupper.

Liking moths to a flame, my dining companion and I drifted towards it, and made it inside just before it started to pour.  From the restaurant, you can have a really great view of the entire harbor.  As a bonus, we were able to enjoy the thunder and lightening show as well.

But, we came here to eat, no?  As crab cakes are a local institution, we decided to share one for a starter. Since I am new to this whole blogging thing, I forgot to take a picture until after we had both tried a bite.  Sorry!  Anyway, you get the picture - a broiled, mostly crabmeat cake in a light mayo sauce.  It was good in the sense they didn't skimp on the crabmeat, but it didn't knock my socks off.

Maryland Jumbo Lump Crab Cake, minus two bites...

Main Course: Fish and Chips and Beer

To continue on the seafood kick, I decided to order the Fish and Chips accompanied by the house beer, a Rusty Scupper Amber Ale.  The fish was flaky, and the beer had a nice orange-blossomy aroma.  It did not compare to my favorite fish and chips in the world (Leo Burdock's, Dublin, Ireland - you will die when you try this!!), but it was decent.  The conclusion?  Come for the view and get some decent food to boot, but for a true gastronomical treat you may want to look elsewhere.

The following morning left me with just enough time for a light breakfast at the hotel and a sprint up Federal Hill for one last look at the harbor (sadly, without the camera which died the night before).  Had the camera worked, I would have also showed you some shots of my hotel, the Intercontinental Harbor Court Hotel.  Alas, all I can say is the place is pretty true to its advertising in terms of looks - very East Coast traditional decor, and excellent service.  Best of all, valet parking and a perfect location means I would stay there again next time I visit Baltimore.  And I will be back, as there is plenty more to see and do!









2 comments:

  1. I'm dying for the fish and chips! It seems like you had a short and enjoyable time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fish and chips were worth blowing my diet for. :) Thanks - yes, Baltimore is a great spot for a little weekend adventure.

    ReplyDelete